22 August 2009

New Jerusalem, Iowa

Mr. Alexenberg, your new project JerUSAlem has inspired me. I read about the Jerusalems in the US, but was disappointed to find there was not one in Iowa. I looked into it, and it turns out there was a town called "New Jerusalem" which existed in the 1850s. Early on, its name was changed to "Butler Rapids," and it disappeared shortly after. This town was even located in my county, where I've lived most of my live and the Hoodjer family has resided for generations, essentially since they first arrived from Germany. I'm going to do some research and see what I can find out about it.

Steve Hoodjer of Parkersburg, Iowa, posted this message on my Facebook wall. Steve was my son Moshe's classmate at the Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya where they both earned their BA degrees at the Lauder School of Government.